[gothic-l] Re: Dan, Danai and the Greek Danoi

malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE
Sat Jul 7 16:16:55 UTC 2001

Hi all,
--- In gothic-l at y..., "Anþanareiks" <anthanaric at h...> wrote:
> Regarding the Danoi and the Illiad. I do not recall anyone
mentioning
> Saxo.
>

> From Saxo Grammaticus's Gesta Danorum, the History of the Danes:
> Chapter I, paragraph I. The beginning.
>
> Now Dan and Angul, with whom the stock of the Danes begins, were
> begotten of Humble, their father, and were the governors and not
only
> the founders of our race. (Yet Dudo, the historian of Normandy,
> considers that the Danes are sprung and named from the Danai.) And
> these two men, though by the wish and favour of their country they
> gained the lordship of the realm, and, owing to the wondrous
deserts
> of their bravery, got the supreme power by the consenting voice of
> their countrymen, yet lived without the name of king: the usage
> whereof was not then commonly resorted to by any authority among
our
> people.

I think I wrote in an earlier post here or in germanic-l about Saxo's
lie about Dudo, and here it is.
It seems that Saxo saw the contradiction- Daci being Danes/Danai and
decending from Antenor, who in Troy-wars fought with Danaoi- and
wanted to simplify things by saying that Dudo thinks the Danes are
Danai i. e. Greeks.
As
Karsten Friis-Jensen
writes in
Dudo of St. Quentin and Saxo Grammaticus', s. 11-28 i: P. Gatti & A.
Degl'Innocenti
(udg.), Dudone di San Quintino, Trento 1995 (Labirinti, 16).
this is a considerable "lie" (my word, I don't recall Friis-Jensens
exact words as I write this.)

Dudo clearly points out that it is the  Dacians(DANES) as he refer
them quite consequently  who say that they are Danai or Danes
boasting decendandce from Antenor. As if HE ALSO perhaps saw a
contradiction in Danai Decending from Antenor, and then attributing
the the misstake to the danes.

Saxo puts everything in Dudos mouth,  and says that he means  the
Danes decend from the danai and simply doesnt mention Antenor.
That's a clear lie to me.

Best wishes

Anders

Ps
Maybe its the -oi ending(greek) that makes all the difference after
all.
Ds