[gothic-l] Hachmann: to Ingemar and Keth

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jul 9 08:42:44 UTC 2001

Hello Ingemar,

> Concerning Rolf Hachmann "Die Goten und Skandinavien" it is a very
good
> book, I have read it very intensively from beginning to end. However
his
> argument against a migration from Scandinavia does not hold
altogether
> because he admits diverse local emigrations.

He does? My reading is that he ruled out any 'significant' influx from
Scandinavian cultures into the Masovian group (i.e. Wilbark culture).
Hachmann stated, in my view, only on the basis of name similarities
that there must have been some contact at some time.

Also his way of
estimating
> the extense of arrable land in connection to his estimated
population
> has its faults. In my book I have treated him thoroughly and argued
his
> weak points. You must also remember that he all the time seem to
work to
> prove that the Goths originated elsewhere.

I don't think that Hachmann seeks to prove a pre-conceived point.
Instead, he seems to be one of the very few and possibly the first
scholar to have treated this question free of patriotic-nationalistic
pre-conceptions.

Finally he ends upp with
> admitting he can not prove the Goths were continental nor that they
were
> Scandinavian.

That is not quite right I am afraid. Hachmann clearly states that the
continental Goths are, as bearers of the Masovian group (Wilbark
culture) an authochon culture that originated as successor of the
Oxthoefter culture and splinter group of the Przworsk culture on the
continent. Thus, Hachmann states explicitly that the continental Goths
 originated on the continent and not in Scandinavia. This is also the
mainstream view among archaeologists involved this this matter.

Hachmann concludes by saying that there is no archaeological evidence
that the Masovian group (i.e. Goths) came from Scandinavia, but also
that there is no evidence that people of the Masovian group (i.e.
Goths) migrated to Scandinavia.

Still he regards also the Gauts as Goths.

Yes, Hachmann states that the name similarity suggest that the two
groups had contact at some stage, but that archaeology could not
verify which way this contact went and of what nature it was.

The
conclusion
> is that he has made a very honest book which is quite recommendable
and
> that shows Hachmann is a very serious researcher.

Yes, Prof. Hachmann was, no doubt, a leading pre-historian and
arachaeologist. In this context the writings of Prof. Volker
Bierbrauer should be of interest. Bierbrauer is a leading expert in
Gothic archaelogoy. For example: Volker Bierbrauer, Archäologie und
Geschichte der Goten vom 1.- 7. Jahrhundert. Versuch einer Bilanz. In:
Frühmittelalterliche Studien 28 (1994) 51-171

Bierbrauer also wrote an article about Ostrogothic fibulae in Bavaria
and another about Alamannic fibulae in Ostrogothic Italy. (Reference
is in Wolfram's 'Die Goten'.

cheers,