[gothic-l] Re: Godheimar and godos

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Jul 9 08:50:13 UTC 2001

Hi Bertil,

Here is another thing.
In Spanish, like in other Romance languages, the intervocalic "t" of
Latin words was sonorized (softened) to "d". Thus, Latin Gothus
(pronounced "Gotus", since "th" was in Latin only a graphy, it was
pronounced "t") > Spanish godo (pronounced [goðo]), like in totus
>todo, civitate(m) > ciudad, armata > armada, etc.
It has nothing to do with the Norse God- in God-thjod, God-heimar etc.

Francisc