[gothic-l] Re: Hachmann: to Ingemar and Keth

ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Tue Jul 10 01:19:10 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:

> > because he admits diverse local emigrations.
>

> He does? My reading is that he ruled out any 'significant' influx
from
> Scandinavian cultures into the Masovian group (i.e. Wilbark
culture).
> Hachmann stated, in my view, only on the basis of name similarities
> that there must have been some contact at some time.

Yes, he indeed admitted the possibility of minor local emigrations
from Scandinavia but ruled out a major one. That is not the same as
stating Scandinavian influence in the Masovian group which he did
not.He also rules out the lower part of the Vistula region as Gothic
and so is able to look away from Scandinavian patterns.

> I don't think that Hachmann seeks to prove a pre-conceived point.
> Instead, he seems to be one of the very few and possibly the first
> scholar to have treated this question free of
patriotic-nationalistic
> pre-conceptions.

I give you he seems quite neutral until he introduces his Masovian
group  which I think was in his back-head all the time.

> Finally he ends upp with admitting he can not prove the Goths were
continental nor that they were Scandinavian.

> That is not quite right I am afraid. Hachmann clearly states that
the continental Goths are, as bearers of the Masovian group (Wilbark
> culture) an authochon culture that originated as successor of the
> Oxthoefter culture and splinter group of the Przworsk culture on the
> continent. Thus, Hachmann states explicitly that the continental
Goths originated on the continent and not in Scandinavia. This is also
the  mainstream view among archaeologists involved this this matter.

He claims the Masovian group might have been the Goths but he
definitely not states their origin with any certainty. He means they
took over an older culture in the area but never states their exact
origin but he beleives it is continental.

> Hachmann concludes by saying that there is no archaeological
evidence
> that the Masovian group (i.e. Goths) came from Scandinavia, but also
> that there is no evidence that people of the Masovian group (i.e.
> Goths) migrated to Scandinavia.

All he says is that their-the Masovians- jewellery is influenced from
La Tène and not from Scandinavia. Accordingly he has not proven the
Goths having neither a continental nor a Scandinavian origin because
he never states the first origin.

Kindly
Ingemar