[gothic-l] Re: Hachmann: to Ingemar and Keth

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jul 10 07:30:38 UTC 2001

->
> All he says is that their-the Masovians- jewellery is influenced
from
> La Tène and not from Scandinavia. Accordingly he has not proven the
> Goths having neither a continental nor a Scandinavian origin because
> he never states the first origin.

Hi Ingemar,

we must have read a different book! Hachmann clearly states that the
Goths were the bearers of the Wilbark/Willenberg culture/i.e. the
Masovian group and he shows, as have many archaeologists after him,
that this culture is not derived or significantly influenced by
Scandinavian cultures, but is indigious to the area and developed from
earlier cultures, i.e. the Oxthoefte culture, which in turn is
strongly influenced and most closely related to the Przeworsk culture.

cheers,