[gothic-l] Re: Hachmann

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jul 10 07:21:49 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> Hi again Dirk et.al.
>
> I have not much time for a translation right now but give you an
excerpt
> from my book dealing with the interpretation of Hachmanns Masovian
> group. The point is a.e. he never shows   the origin of Oxhöfde and
> Prezeworskr  cultures and the possible Scandinavian influence there.
He
> also states the Masovian group was not autochtonous.
>
> Kindly
> Ingemar

Hi Ingemar,

I am afraid we can go on like this indefinitely, but Hachmann, as well
as most modern archaeologists state that the Masovian group/Wilbark
culture (i.e. the Goths)  is an autochtonous culture (see for example
Tadeusz Makiewicz, 'The Goths in Greater Poland'). Hachmann states
that it is autochtonous in its southernly center but non-autochtonous
in its northernly expanse, where it streched into the so-called
'Baltische Gruppe'. I can provide the exact citation if you want.

To assume Scandinavian influence in the Przeworsk and Oxthoefte
cultures, as you seem to do, is really streching it beyond
plausibility, and no archaeologist and pre-historian is arguing this
seriously. In fact, the Przeworsk culture (Oder/Warthe culture) is
strongly influenced and shaped by Celtic cultures. For a recent
treatment see for example: Marek Oledzki, "Zu den Trägern der
Przeworsk-Kultur aufgrund schriftlicher und archäologischer Quellen"
in: Ethnographisch-Archäologische Zeitschrift der Humbold Universitaet
Berlin , 1999.

cheers,