[gothic-l] Re: Hachmann

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jul 11 06:28:01 UTC 2001

Why Hachmann and Bierbrauer rejects
> Scandinavian traces  in these regions is incomprehensible. There are
> clear Scandinavic cultural traits mixed up with other in these
regions
> and they are part of the formation of the later Masovian group. He
also
> states the Goths were known before 300 BC, even if Andreas does not
> agree with the correctness of this.

Hello Ingemar,

I already replied to Bertil clarifying that Hachmann did not at all
state that the Goths were known before 300BC. Please re-read pages 116
and in particular page 136, where Hachmann says that the quotes based
on Pytheas have to be dismissed and that Strabo is the first to have
mentioned the Goths. I think there is a general problem with the
interpretation of Hachmann, which leads to many mis-understandings.

cheers