[gothic-l] Re: Hachmann

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 12 09:32:22 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Ingemar Nordgren <ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> Hachmann writes in p.116 "...Sieht man von ganz unsicheren
Nachrichten
> ab, die auf Pytheas von Massilia zurückgehen, so war Strabo der
erste,
> der die Goten als *Goutones in der ferneren Nachbarschaft der
> Markomannen kannte. Plinius zählte sie als Gutones den Vandiliern
zu,
> der ersten seiner fünf Gruppen germanischer Stämme, nahm demnach an,
sie
> siedelten im östlichen  Mitteleuropa.
>
>  your commentary p. 136:
>  "Mehr ist aus dieser Stelle gewiss nicht zu entnehmen und daher
> muss sie ausser Betracht gelassed werden... Strabo ist offenbar der
> erste antike Geograph der die Goten kannte."
>
> From this I admit that Hachmann himself is not convinced but still
> Plinius refers to Pytheas. The location of the Goths also differs
> between Hachmanns interpretation and Plinius who does not give an
exact
> location but easter Middle-Europe and connected in some way with the
> Vandals. About Strabo Hachmann says he is the first geographer that
> evidently (meaning=sure) knew about the Goths living as a little
distant
> neighbours to the Markomanni and that far I agree, since Pytheas is
by
> no means sure. Still Hachmann  must presuppose the Goths were in
> location as latest 100 BC which opens for Pytheas information.
>
> The possibility accordingly still remains Pytheas/Plinius may be
correct
> even if it of course not is proven. Hachmann is a very cautiuos
person
> making firm statements but evidently the connection to Vandili has
given
> Hachmann the impetus to look at the Masovian group even if Plinius
gives
> no direct geographic information.
>
> Kindly
> Ingemar

Hi Ingemar,

I am glad we could clarify this. Hachmann, is in no uncertain terms
arguing that the Pytheas/Plinius quote cannot be used as an early
reference to the Goths and that Strabo who said that the Goths lived
behind the Marcomanni is the first to have refered them. If Hachmann
had argued that there were Goths in the 4th century BC this would have
contradicted other findings, like the statement that the Goths most
likely constituted themselves as a tribe in around 100BC as the
bearers of the Willenberg culture.

In general, a reference to a Germanic tribe in the 4th century would
be very anormalous given that ancient references to Germanic people
started only in the first century BC. And that only from the time of
Caesar had classical authors enough information about these regions to
 notice a linguistic difference between Celts and Germans.

cheers,