[gothic-l] Re: Goths, Gepids, Gaut (Langobards)

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Jul 10 11:36:09 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> How long do you think they kept speaking Langobard in Italy btw?
> Charlemagne took over at the end of the 8th century. But perhaps
> they continued speaking Langobard longer than that. What do you
think?

> Best regards
> Keth

The Langobardic domination in Italy lasted from AD 568 to AD 774, when
Desiderius, the last Langobardic king, was defeated by Charlemagne.
According to Carlo Tagliavini ("Le Origini delle lingue neolatine"),
during the VIIth century the romanization of the Langobards (and of
those Ostrogoths who remained in Italy and fusioned with the
Langobards) occured quickly enough, especially after the abandon of
Arianism in  favour of Catholicism, so that a strong barrier between
Langobards and Roman was removed.
This is all that I found about this subject. Probably in 774, when the
Langobardic kingdom was annexed to the Francic Empire, the Langobards
were already in great part, if not entirely, romanized. This would
also explain the fact that their last king had a Roman name
(Desiderius).

Francisc