[gothic-l] Re: Old Nordic, Gothic and Old Gutnish

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Fri Jul 13 12:09:18 UTC 2001

Hi Francisk,
You wrote:
>I only presented the facts that I have found. Principially, I am not
>pro, nor contra the closer relationship of Gutnish and Gothic. But
>unfortunately, as you say, the facts are suggesting that Gutnish is
>rather Scandinavic than Gothic. The few characters found in Gutnish
>that seem to be common with Gothic could be explained by considering
>Gutnish as an East Scandinavic language with Gothic substratum.

This would then be a result of the number of innovations
Gu. has in common with Go., which it doesn't have in common with Sc. (1)

But for a comparison you would also have to list the number of innovations
Sc. has in common with Go., which it doesn't have in common with Gu. (2)

If (2) should happen to be larger than (1), it should be exactly reversed!
;)

Best regards, and thank you once more,
Keth