[gothic-l] Re: Fwd: Finnur Jónsson and goðþjóð

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Jul 10 13:00:46 UTC 2001

Hails Anþanareiks,

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Anþanareiks" <anthanaric at h...> wrote:
> So in the earliest traditions, the Goths, circa 400 CE, you have
> god  people
> guþ  þuida   gutþuida
> goð   þjóð    goðþjóð
>
> I think that gautu þioðar, people descended from Gaut, is the key
> here esp. considering the Goths felt they were descended from Gaut.
> What is Gothic for Goth, gutan, pl.  similar to gaut.

But gutþiuda (and not "gutþuida") "Gothic people" comes from gut-
"Goth", not from guþ "God". Otherwise it would be *guþþiuda (the group
-þþ- occurs in Gothic, e.g. aþþan "but, however, still, yet"; it was
not dissimilated to -tþ-).
The root Gut- "Goth" is attested also in the runic inscription on the
golden necklace of the Viisigothic treasury of Pietroasa (Romania).
It's most accepted reading is GUTANI WIHAILAG, that is interpreted as
"of the Goths sacred-holy [property]" (in Wulfilan Gothic this would
be *Gutane weih-hailag). Thus GUTANI or *Gutane is the genitive plural
of a weak declension, the nominative form being sg. *Guta, pl.
*Gutans.

Golja þuk

Francisc