[gothic-l] Re: Gaut/Gapt (Tyr)

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Tue Jul 10 13:19:37 UTC 2001

Hi Bertil,

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> ... The
> Battle of the Goths and Huns could even point
> toward the Gothic patron being Tyr (Angan-Tyr)
> and not Odin.

I don't think that the Gothic patron could be Tyr.
Tyr is the Scandinavic form of Gmc. *tiwa-z or *teiwa-z (from the IE
root *deiwo-s, whence also Sanskrit deva, Avestic daeva-, Latin deus
and divus, OHG zio, etc.)
In Gothic, *tiwa-z would become *tius, and *teiwa-z > *teiws.
This Angantyr is mentioned only in "The Battle of the Goths and Huns"
and some ther Norse sagas, and not in historical sources. So it's
doubtful if this was the name of a real Gothic person.

Francisc