logic error: Gapt [gothic-l]

sunburst sunburst at JETSTREAM.NET
Tue Jul 10 16:07:20 UTC 2001

Hails Dirk!

>I think that the names Gaut/Gaus and Gapt are typical pairs of gods
>and analogous to the Vandalic gods Raus and Rapt (as reported by
>Herwig Wolfram in 'Rom und die Germanen). Wolfram states that the name
>Raus and Rapt mean wooden beam and wooden stave (rohr in German), i.e.
>stand for the wooden images of Germanic gods.

That is indeed a tempting conclusion, but the fact that Raus and Rapt begin
with r-, cannot be etymologically connected to Gaut and Gapt, and are
semantically very different, suggests that the only real similarity is that
if one *artificially* puts Gaut and Gapt together (the names appear together
nowhere, and nothing suggests they are distinct from one another and should
be laid side by side), the set rhymes with Raus and Rapt.  Also, there are
no "Rausi," or any tribe of "Rapids" associated with the Vandals or anyone
else.  I think we might be dealing with the difference between apples and
oranges here.

Albareiks