logic error: Gapt [gothic-l]

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Jul 10 16:26:12 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "sunburst" <sunburst at j...> wrote:
> Hails Dirk!
>
> >I think that the names Gaut/Gaus and Gapt are typical pairs of gods
> >and analogous to the Vandalic gods Raus and Rapt (as reported by
> >Herwig Wolfram in 'Rom und die Germanen). Wolfram states that the
name
> >Raus and Rapt mean wooden beam and wooden stave (rohr in German),
i.e.
> >stand for the wooden images of Germanic gods.

Hi Albareiks,

> That is indeed a tempting conclusion, but the fact that Raus and
Rapt begin
> with r-, cannot be etymologically connected to Gaut and Gapt, and
are
> semantically very different,

I may have expressed myself wrongly. I did not meant to say that Gaut
and Gapt and Raus and Rapt are the same gods or etymologically
connected names. I only sought to point to the existence of these
founder-god-pairs in other tribes as well.

 suggests that the only real similarity
is that
> if one *artificially* puts Gaut and Gapt together (the names appear
together
> nowhere, and nothing suggests they are distinct from one another and
should
> be laid side by side), the set rhymes with Raus and Rapt.

I was not aware that Gaut and Gapt are not put side by side in the
ancient sources. Again, I only wanted to point to the god-pairs in
other tribes to suggest that we may have the same sort of
constellation with Gaut and Gapt.

 Also,
there are
> no "Rausi," or any tribe of "Rapids" associated with the Vandals or
anyone
> else.

That is true, but it has no bearing on the parallel that I wanted to
draw the attention to. There are also other names of other gods
without a paralell tribal name.

 I think we might be dealing with the difference between
apples and
> oranges here.

I am not convinced that this is the case. Ok the Vandals did not
woreship Gaut, but they had the Gods Raus and Rapt, meaning beam and
stave, and Ambri and Assi meaning 'Esche (a tree)' and 'Erle (a
tree)'. Gaut belonged to the Ases/Anses gods, a name that is  thought
to mean 'beam'. All this seem to suggest that these are really only
names for wooden Idols, while the name Gaut seems to mean something
else.
....now I have forgotten what I really wanted to argue, but I guess I
just wanted to draw attention to the fact that many gods/legendary
heroes appeared in pairs of which Gaut and Gapt may be one example
although other examples are possible.

cheers,
Dirk