[gothic-l] Re: Old Nordic, Gothic and Old Gutnish

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Thu Jul 12 14:46:25 UTC 2001

Hi Bertil,

The sources on Gutnish are:
1. An university course on comparative grammar of Germanic Languages,
issued by the University of Bucharest in 1971; of course you would say
that this is not a reliable source, but I'm convinced that the Old
Gutnish words quoted there: auga, droyma, stain, fliauga, méla, dýma,
raiþi, kirkiur, are really Old Gutnish, simply because I have found
them in the texts named below.
2. The Gutalagh and Guta Saga, that were very kindly provided to the
Gothic-L by Mr. Tore Gannholm (messages no. 3969, 3997, 4023, 4098).
My overall impression is that the language is similar to that of the
Old Icelandic texts of my "Altisländisches Elementarbuch" by Andreas
Heusler (Carl Winter Universitätsverlag, Heidelberg, 1967), but with
some words looking more like Swedish than Icelandic. In no way did
they remind me the language of the Silver Bible.
A propos: looking now through these texts, I have found another pure
and typical North Germanic (Scandinavic) feature, that is never found
in Gothic: the "broken" diphthongs (originating from e before a or u):
in Guta Saga (second paragraph): stierna = star
in Gothic: staírno (where aí = short e); in Swedish it is something
like stjerna, isn't it?
in Gutalagh, the paragraph about inherit (no. 20): iorth = earth
in Gothic: aírtha; in Swedish it is something like jörd, or maybe I'm
wrong?
I think that my conclusion (Gutnish is not Gothic, but Scandinavic) is
based on facts. I presented these facts, that are facts. They are
there, they are objective. But maybe my deductions are wrong. Please
demonstrate me that my logic was wrong, and I will believe you.

Francisc

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:
> Francisc,
>
> What are your sources on Gutnish and how
> much Old Gutnish text have you had available
> when making the conclusion above?
>
> Gothically
>
> Bertil
>
> FINAL CONCLUSION:
> Taking into account these facts, the view that Gutnish is more
Gothic