[gothic-l] Re: Old Nordic, Gothic and Old Gutnish

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jul 12 16:10:39 UTC 2001

Hi Francisc,
Thank you very much for a very interesting contribution!
(and I apologize for misspelling your name yesterday)

>INNOVATIONS FOUND IN:                   NUMBER         PERCENT
>Gutnish & Gothic only                      1             6.25%
>Gutnish only                               4            25.00%
>Gutnish & Scandinavic, not in Gothic      10            62.50%
>Gutnish & Scandinavic & Gothic             1             6.25%
>TOTAL                                     16           100.00%
>
>FINAL CONCLUSION:
>Taking into account these facts, the view that Gutnish is more Gothic
>than Scandinavic seems to be not sustainable.

I tried to represent these data graphically, in the shape of a Venn
diagram, in ordr to get a complete overview. But of course, you du get
a view of how Gutnic interfaces with both Scandinavian and Gothic here,
and so you do obtain a picture of the relative overlap.
The two numbers to compare are then
1: shared innovations between Gu. & Go. but excluding the shared
   innovations between Gu. & Go. & Sc. This number is 6.25% according to
   your above table.
2: shared innovations between Gu. & Sc. but excluding the shared
   innovations between Gu. & Go. & Sc. This number is 62.5% according to
   your above table.

The conclusion is (interface ratio) that Gutnic is 10 times closer
to Scandinavian than it is to Gothic.

Here is a table of possible ascii abbreviations for the 8 distinct
parts of the Venn-diagram: (just to facilitate communication)

#1: Gu. & Go. & Sc.
#2: Gu. & Go. minus #1.
#3: Gu. & Sc. minus #1.
#4: Sc. & Go. minus #1.
#5: Gu. minus (#1 & #2 & #3).
#6: Sc. minus (#1 & #3 & #4).
#7: Go. minus (#1 & #2 & #4).
#8: All innovations in all the worlds languages
    that are neither in Gu. nor in Sc. nor in Go.

(#8 only included for logic completeness)

For other listmembers: If this sounds difficult, then that is
only because you don't gave an accompanying figure.
Try to draw a figure, then it will be clear.

The percentages you have found all relate to No.'s  2, 5, 3 and 1
(in that order), as 6.25%, 25%, 62.5% and 6.25%.

The ones I miss are No.'s 4, 6 and 7.
That is: Comm. innov. betw. Sc. & Go. but not in Gu.
         Innov. in Sc. not in Go. or Gu.
         Innov. in Go. not in Gu. or Sc.

With these additional data it should be possible to position
the 3 languages relative to one another in a two-dimensional diagram.
But I realize that it would probably be a lot of extra work for
you to find the additonal numbers.

Best regards
Keth