Frå Gutasaga [gothic-l]/normalized to Icelandic

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Fri Jul 13 02:40:27 UTC 2001

Here follows the Gutnish text sample of the last post normalized
to Icelandic.

>From Arne Torp: "Nordisk språk i nordisk og germansk perspektiv."
The text below is printed in Torp's book on page 45.

Frå Gutasaga (handskrift ca. 1350)
----------------------------------
Gotland hitti [=fann] fyrstr maðr sá sem þjalfarr hét. Þá var Gotland só
?elvist*)
at þat do,gum so,kk ok nóttum var uppi. En sá maðr kom fyrstr eldi á land, ok
síðan so,kk þat aldri. Þessi Þjalfarr hafði [=átti] einn son sem hét Hafði.
En Hafða
kona hét Hvítastjarna; þau tvau byggðu fyrst á Gotlandi. Fyrstu nótt sem þau
saman sváfu, þá dreymdi hana draum, só sem þrír ormar væri slungnir saman í
barmi hennar, ok þótti henni sem þeir skriði ór barmi hennar. Þenna draum
sagði hon fyrir Hafða, bónda sínum; hann réð draum þenna só: "Allt er baugum
bundit; búland skal þetta verða, ok fám [=munum] þrjá syni eiga." Þeim gaf
hann nafn o,llum ófoeddum: "Goti skal Gotland eiga, Greipr skal annarr heita ok
Gunnfjón þriði." Þeir skiptu síðan Gotlandi í þrjá þriðjunga só at Greipr,
sá elzti,
hlaut norðasta þriðjung ok Goti meðalþriðjung, en Gunnfjón, sá yngsti, hlaut
sunnarsta.
.........'.........'.........'.........'.........'.........'.........'.........'
*)unknown word in Old Norse

Note: I have used an "o" followed by a comma for the Old Norse "hooked o"
(=the "o" with a "tail" attached to its bottom).

The story tells about the first man who settled on Gotland.
His name was Tjalfar. But in those days there were some "elves"
or other supernatural forces that caused Gotland only to be
accessible during the nighttime, because during the day it
sank below the waves, and could not be seen.
But Tjalfar used fire to purge the island of its supernatural
condition. And after he had carried his fire around the island
it never sank any more.

And Tjalfar had a a son called Hafdi. And Hafdi had a wife called
Whitestar. They were the first people to settle on Gotland.
The first night they slept together, she had a dream, and it was
like 3 serpents were intertwined in her bosom, and it seemed to
her as if they crept out of her bosom. She told her husband Hafdi
about this dream, and he explained the dream thus: "Everything
is tied together by means of rings, and this land shall become
inhabited. And we shall have 3 sons." And he gave them names before
they were born: "Goti shall own Gotland, the 2nd shall be Greip
and the 3rd Gunnfjon." Later they divided Gotland into 3 parts,
such that Greip, the oldest, got the northern part, and Goti
became the part in the middle, and Gubbfjon, the youngest, got
the southen part.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~-------------------------------
Genealogy:                                    '
                                              '
                    Tjalfar                   '
                       |                      '
                       |                      '
                     Hafdi ~ Whitestar        '
                ___________|___________       '
               |           |           |      '
               |           |           |      '
             Greip       Goti      Gunnfjon   '
            (North)    (Middle)     (South)   '
                                              '
                                              '
                                              '

Here also is exemplified:

1. There are 3 sons.
2. All 3 have names beginning with the same letter.
3. Two have short names of only one syllable and are
   similar. The 3rd son has a name of two syllables,
   that differs a little from the two others, in that
   it has no fricative at the end. (only 'n')
4. Also note that the name "Goti" is basically the
   same as "Gaut".
5. In "Greip" we also find the "p" that we find in "Gapt".

Best regards
Keth