[gothic-l] where can somebody study gothic ?

roderic_711 at YAHOO.CO.UK roderic_711 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Fri Jul 13 07:20:21 UTC 2001

Knauen Tag!(I think it's crimean gothic according to a text I once
read somewhere...)
I've been on this list for almost 6 months but unfortunately I haven't
got much time to check the entries on the mailing list-page at yahoo.
I shouldn't be so rude, so therefore I'm going to introduce myself. :)
My name is Leonardo Hernández-Cortez, I'm 19 years old and I live in
Sweden. I've been drawn and naturally fascinated with a burning
interest for history and specially the so called 'early medieval
ages'and linguistics since an early stage, I've found myself being
drawn to the germanic tribes and in particular the goths and other
east germanic tribes or just obscure(less famous)germanic tribes and
since I love languages and speak some of them, I've tried to read
gothic texts and learn some grammar but it's "a bit" hard.
I've found asking myself this question for months:
Where can I learn how to speak(or at least understand)gothic in
Europe/North America ? Preferably Europe since I live here and I
haven't got any plans to move to or visit north america in a long
while.
Lately I've come to the conclusion that I'm extremely fascinated by
this people, it's culture, history and specially their language and
the late gothic period in Spain.
I just feel fascinated by them and I cannot, by no means, explain why
or how, I'm sorry.
However, regarding the studies, I've done some research and apparently
you can't study gothic in sweden(there's no basic undergraduate course
with optional continuation which is held every semester)and I've
looked and visited webpages belonging other foreign universities, but
nothing.
So therefore, I urge you- all of you- to help me(and maybe other ones
too who have this common interest)and tell me where can I study the
gothic language ?

Please, be so kind and reply to the list and also in personal to me if
you could be so kind.
my e-mail address: roderic711 at hotmail.com .
if anyone of you however did understand my mail but cannot reply in
english because of some reason or another, you can also write to me in
swedish, spanish, french, italian or portuguese. I understand a bit of
danish and norwegian too in any case.

Thank you in advance.

Yours Sincerely
Leonardo Hernández-Cortez.