[gothic-l] Re: Old Gutnish

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Fri Jul 13 07:53:14 UTC 2001

Hi Bertil,

--- In gothic-l at y..., Bertil Häggman <mvk575b at t...> wrote:

> Personally I believe after maybe
> a decade of throrugh studies of the
> whole corpus of Old Gutnish texts
> any judgement can be made on
> the relation between the two
> languages.
>
> Also I think Neogard's wordbook, which
> contains a large number of words, which
> he thought was related to Gothic. There are
> about 2,000 manuscript to sift through.

Do you thing that one has to study the whole corpus of Gutnish texts
in order to have an idea about the character of the language?
The language of Guta Saga and Gutalagh is for me clearly Scandinavic,
and it reminds me the language of the Old Icelandic texts, despite the
fact that one is East Scandinavic and the other West Scandinavic
(after all, both have a common source and were initially two dialects
of the same lanmguage, isn't it?).
Do you think that the language of the other Gutnish texts is so
different from that of Gutasaga&Gutalagh so that it could change this
impression of Scandinavic character? This would imply that in Gotland
were spoken two totally different Germanic languages: a North Germanic
languages (reflected in Gutasaga&Gutalagh) and an East Germanic
(Gothic) language.

> A final question. For how long have you
> studied the Old Gutnish language?

OK, I begun a very unsistematic study of Old Gutnish only some 2 weeks
ago (in my virtually inexistent spare time). On the other hand, I
study the Gothic language since approx. 10 years, so that looking at
the Gutasaga&Gutalagh I saw clearly that their language is not Gothic,
but has an North Germanic character (I am somehow familiar with the
North Germanic languages, since I was long time interested in the
comparative study of the Germanic languages).

Francisc