[gothic-l] Re: Gothic to Keth

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jul 13 12:17:12 UTC 2001

> >and dispersed beyond the original homeland
> >to occupy the region from the North Sea stretching to the
> >River Vistula in Poland by 500 BC. The languages spoken during this
> >period is only attested indirectly, in the foreign words, usually
> >proper names, used by Greek and Latin authors, and in early
> >loans in neighbouring and co-territorial languages, especially
> >Finno-Ugric and Baltic. The earliest direct records are
> >Scandinavian runic inscriptions from the beginning of the
> >third century."
>
> In fact, the Illerup-Årdal runes found in Denmark, were
> determined to have come from S.Norway with an invading
> army. Date: ca. 200 AD. They attest the Nordic language.
> (PN's Vagnio and Svarta IIRC)

Hi Keth,

here is the link to a recent book on the origin of runes (the whole
study is online!!). However, the author argues that the names Vanijo
and Nithijo, etc. that were found on the Illerup weapons are infact
the West Germanic names of the weapons smiths from the Rhine area who
made these weapons in Norway. (The names are said to derive from the
two tribes the Vangiones and Nitenses)

http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/arts/j.h.looijenga/

If you have other information on this, we could discuss this on the
Germanic list:

cheers,