[gothic-l] Re: Gothic to Keth

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Fri Jul 13 16:15:06 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk,
>Hi Keth,
>
>here is the link to a recent book on the origin of runes (the whole
>study is online!!). However, the author argues that the names Vanijo
>and Nithijo, etc. that were found on the Illerup weapons are infact
>the West Germanic names of the weapons smiths from the Rhine area who
>made these weapons in Norway. (The names are said to derive from the
>two tribes the Vangiones and Nitenses)
>
>http://www.ub.rug.nl/eldoc/dis/arts/j.h.looijenga/
>
>If you have other information on this, we could discuss this on the
>Germanic list:

Do you think I should join the Germanic-L?
(I already have a lot of mail from the other lists)

Yes, I have heard about T(?) Looijenga. If it is the same person, then she
is someonme who graduated from either Utrecht or Groningen, and writes
about runes.

The Illerup-Årdal runes are however new. (they haven't been available
so long since the finds are recent) amd I do not think they were like
the smith's marks that were found on some other swords, e.g. the one
with a roman trade mark stamped on that was found in Norway, showing
the goddes FORTUNA ( latin letters and all )).

Researchers who have investigated the weapon hoard at Illerup-Årdal
say that the sword blades are clearly Roman imports (mass produced)
and were probably bought for  weapons logistics reason. That is,
not imported one by one, but in larger quantities as a planned
import-shipment of many items at the same time.

I do not know if I have photographs of ALL the runes,
but the way they appeared to me, they were scraped in
with sharp objects, like an awl. (many awls were found)
A smith can however press the runes in while the metal is hot.
(like the fortuna mark, it was pressed in, wasn't it?)
I think it unlikely and below the dignity of a smith with
self-respect to scratch runes onto his finished blades
with an awl. unlikely !  :)

And besides, why do not all sword blades have signatures?
No, I think the runes weren't on the blades at all!

The sword handles (pommels of wooden spheres) were however
most likely mounted in Norway. (to get the blades at
lowest possible price)

And so I think these runic inscriptions represented the names
of users. It was the same thing when I was in the army: we had
to put a small mark on our guns, so that we would take the same
gun each time. Each man is responsible for his own gun.
Inspection causes you to be careful that no-one messes it
up and forgets to clean it or lets it rust.

But I can try to see exactly what the photos tell.
"Vagn" is the name of the hero in the Jomsvikinga saga.
(Danish PN; it means "car" - Deutsch "Wagen")

Best regards
Keth