[gothic-l] Re: Gothic (Langobardic)

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Fri Jul 13 13:05:26 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk,

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> Indeed, that is another question that interests me. The exchange of

> "b" for a "p" seems to be a characteristic of both Langobardic and
> Bavarian and is still clearly noticeable in modern Bavarian. I don't
> know much about this shift, but would be interested to learn more
> about it. My hypothesis is that the two languages were very similar
in
> the 7th/8th centuries safe for some dialectal variation, which may
be
> underscored by the fact that the Langobardic royal house was closely
> related and of the same origin as the Bavarian ducal house. In fact,
> the Langobardic royal house was called the Bavarian dynasty.

The shift b>p is part of the second consonant shift, that occured in
High German and Langobardic. In initial position, however, this shift
appears in only in "Oberdeutsch" (Bavarian-Austrian, Alamanic, Suabian
and "Oberfränkisch" dialects) and is not reflected in Standard German
(for instance, in the Bavarian dialect of Old High German we have:
pruoder for Bruder "brother", part for Bart "beard", peigira for Bayer
"Bavarian", etc.).
It is not clear to me whether Langobardic was OHG or not. Some
classify it as an OHG dialect, others say that initially it was an
Ingevonic (Anglo-Frisian)-type Germanic language, but, being in the
neighborhood of OHG, participated in the second consonant shift, but
in somehow different conditions than OHG.

Francisc