[gothic-l] Re: Gothic (Langobardic)

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Jul 13 14:13:45 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Francisc Czobor" <czobor at c...> wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> --- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> > Indeed, that is another question that interests me. The exchange
of

> > "b" for a "p" seems to be a characteristic of both Langobardic and

> > Bavarian and is still clearly noticeable in modern Bavarian. I
don't
> > know much about this shift, but would be interested to learn more
> > about it. My hypothesis is that the two languages were very
similar
> in
> > the 7th/8th centuries safe for some dialectal variation, which may
> be
> > underscored by the fact that the Langobardic royal house was
closely
> > related and of the same origin as the Bavarian ducal house. In
fact,
> > the Langobardic royal house was called the Bavarian dynasty.
>
> The shift b>p is part of the second consonant shift, that occured in
> High German and Langobardic. In initial position, however, this
shift
> appears in only in "Oberdeutsch" (Bavarian-Austrian, Alamanic,
Suabian
> and "Oberfränkisch" dialects) and is not reflected in Standard
German
> (for instance, in the Bavarian dialect of Old High German we have:
> pruoder for Bruder "brother", part for Bart "beard", peigira for
Bayer
> "Bavarian", etc.).
> It is not clear to me whether Langobardic was OHG or not. Some
> classify it as an OHG dialect, others say that initially it was an
> Ingevonic (Anglo-Frisian)-type Germanic language, but, being in the
> neighborhood of OHG, participated in the second consonant shift, but
> in somehow different conditions than OHG.
>
> Francisc

Hi Frncisc,

thanks a lot for the information. I know of the following
examples of Langobardic and  Gothic words:

Gothic:       Langobardic:    H. German:    Italian:    English:

tappa/tappo   Zapfo           Zapfen        zaffo       Plug
                                           (and tappo)
Haribergo     Heribergo       Herberge      Albergo     Hostel

Note there are apparently two Italian words for plug, one of Gothic
and one of Langobardic origin.

cheers,