[gothic-l] Old Gutnish

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Fri Jul 13 17:00:32 UTC 2001

Francisc,

Thank you for your contributions on Old Gutnish-Gothic.
It made me make an inventory of what would have to
be studied  (of course not the whole, but a substantial part
of the corpus). Maybe what "reminds you" is not enough
and I think professor Sophus Bugge was on the right (see
his examples provided by me earlier) path and that
professional linguistic research is needed. It will
take quite some time but I want to thank you for
your interest and one personal view is always of
value and I believe you are a very competent
amateur.

Are you suggesting that Old Gutnish originally was a
dialect? Which language would it be a dialect of?

Certainly it is important to make a thorough analysis
of a larger corpus than just the two documents you mention.

Of the Runic inscriptions of Gotland a further investigation,
which is no doubt needed, could include the following:

Sundre Church (three inscriptions)
Vamlingbo Church (four)
Hamra Church (eleven)
Oeja Church (seven)
Fide Church (four)
Naes Church (two)
Groetlingbo Church (four)
Havdhem Church (three)
Eke Church (three)
Rone Church (one)
Hemse Church (two)
Hablingbo Church (three)
Sproge Church (four)
Eksta Church (four)
Levide Church (two)
Linde Church (one)
Lojsta Church (four)
Staanga Church (two)
Naers Church (one)
Lye Church (seven)
Garda Church (two)
Alskogs Church (one)
Gammelgarn Church (one)
Anga Church (four)
Buttle Church (one)
Vaenge Church (four)
Guldrupe Church (six)
Viklau Church (one)
Sjonhem Church (one)

This is only a part of the whole corpus.

No, there is no implication that two languages were
spoken on Gotland. Only Gutnish, which today is
spoken by a minority of the island inhabitants.

A comparative study is under preparation and I would
be happy to provide the results to you, when they are
published (possibly in French, but that, I guess,
would provide no problem for you in Romania).

Gothically

Bertil

Do you thing that one has to study the whole corpus of Gutnish texts
in order to have an idea about the character of the language?

OK, I begun a very unsistematic study of Old Gutnish only some 2 weeks
ago (in my virtually inexistent spare time). On the other hand, I
study the Gothic language since approx. 10 years, so that looking at
the Gutasaga&Gutalagh I saw clearly that their language is not Gothic,
but has an North Germanic character (I am somehow familiar with the
North Germanic languages, since I was long time interested in the
comparative study of the Germanic languages).