[gothic-l] Illerup objects with runes.

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Fri Jul 13 20:10:01 UTC 2001

This is in response to Dirk's interest in the Illerup runes:
Ref.: Illerup Ådal (sic), tome VI, pagina 273.

9 objects were found at Illerup that had the runic inscriptions :

1. Bronze shield handle w. runes:  S W A R T A.
2. Lance point w. runes:  W A G N I J O.
3. Lance point w. runes:  W A G N I J O.
4. Part of drinking horn, bronze plate w. runes: A) F U ? ? ?; B) F R A.
5. Carpenter's plane w. runes:  A F I L A ? ? ?
6. Fire steel, part of personal equipment, w. runes: G A U T R.
7. Shield handle plate of silver w. runes:  N I T I J O   T A W I D E.
8. Shield handle plate of silver w. runes:  S A U F.
9. Bronze band for box, applied covering plates w. runes: F I R H A  or  F
I R H U A.

In particular, the name  "G A U T R"  is rather interesting, since
it has been claimed on this list (by many) and also loudly recited,
that whenever "Gaut" is around, you can be sure it is the Goths !

The funny thing is that these (vanquished) troops are said to have
had their origin in the SW part of peninsular Scandinavia !

(which includes Middle Sweden, as well as South and West Norway)

What does this then tell us about the origin of the Goths ? ? ?

-----------------------
But of course, faced with such possibilities, even the
most hardnecked "gautians" will object, and concede that
"Gaut" must after all have been a more general North-Germanic PN.
So perhaps it was "Gapt" after all in the Getica?
Otherwise one would have to admit of the terrible possibility
that the "Scandza" of the Goths may perhaps have been Norway ?
Oh, horror of horrors. No! such a possibility must be opposed
at all cost.  They are Swedish or bust !

:)
humorously,
Keth