[gothic-l] Illerup objects with runes.

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Jul 14 04:39:42 UTC 2001

Esteemed listmembers,

This little outburst is based on a misunderstanding.
At the time of the Gothic migrations national state
formation had not taken place neither in Sweden nor in Norway.
A Swedish kingdom did not exist until the 12th century.
Some researchers even claim that the "cradle" was in Vaestergoetland
and Oestergoetland, not in the Lake Maelaren area.

Ingemar is using the correct terms namely southern
Scandinavia with variations and it would, in my opinion,
not be correct to write about the island of Gotland
as "Sweden" or "Swedish".

As Scanian there is not the slightest intention in my mind
to glorify a Swedish centralized state, whose influence is
waning anyway in a century of globalization and
regionalization. The southern part of the Scandinavian
peninsula (comprising portions of the present national states of
Sweden and Norway) according to one leading Swedish
historian, Joergen Weibull, is in the sources covering
the first five centuries AD described as a land of a
great number of peoples/tribes, each under its own
chieftain or king.

The discussion is centered on the geography of the early
Goths, not their "nationality" in modern terms.

Also it can be added that the position of the Swedish capital
of Stockholm is related to the old Swedish-Finnish realm
and governor generalships of for instance Estonia, Livonia
and Pomerania, when it had a central position. These days the position
of the capital is more of an isolated outpost far away from
the growing Oeresund region around Copenhagen/Zealand
and Scania with over two million inhabitants or the Western
Goetaland Region with over one million inhabitants. Oslo as
capital has a much more logical place in the state of
Norway closer to Europe.

Gothically

Bertil