[gothic-l] Re: Illerup objects with runes.

ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Sat Jul 14 00:11:19 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:

> But of course, faced with such possibilities, even the
> most hardnecked "gautians" will object, and concede that
> "Gaut" must after all have been a more general North-Germanic PN.
> So perhaps it was "Gapt" after all in the Getica?
> Otherwise one would have to admit of the terrible possibility
> that the "Scandza" of the Goths may perhaps have been Norway ?
> Oh, horror of horrors. No! such a possibility must be opposed
> at all cost.  They are Swedish or bust !
>
> :)
> humorously,
> Keth

Hi Keth,

Thanks for your posting of the runic inscriptions from Illerup.
Regarding Norway I am very glad you mention this. I have all the time
 and in my book regarded Scandza as primarily Southern and
Southwestern Scandinavia, that includes Norway, and I also include
Jutland (pres.Denmark) as an religious origin-area of the early Goths
before the general tribe-formation in the Vistula area where these
small groups  mixed with a lot of other peoples.

Greetings
Ingemar