[gothic-l] Troy and Gaut

Anþanareiks anthanaric at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 14 23:09:45 UTC 2001

> Of course Snorri might be wromg but it seems to me that the
evidenve
> are for him not against him.
> My hunch is that Gaut (coming from the suth) and goths(from the
> north) are totally unrelated, even though of course the goths also
> later may have been worshiping Gaut.
> I seem to remember that Ingemar Nordström in Goterkällan showed
that
> several germanic people worshiped Gaut, maybe also goths.
> Therefore Goths and Gaut - Ethymologically unrelated  point and end.

Regarding Troy and Gaut,

Snorri's rendering of Odin coming from the south is akin to Virgil's
Aeneid which tells of the origins of the Roman's coming from Troy.
These cultural founder's both came from classical Greece.
Anthropogony is very arbitrary, it is conditioned on the esteem of a
societial view and the poet is often employed by a ruler, i.e.
angrandizement. Origination from Classical Greece gave Roman
legitimization as the sucessor of Greece after they beat them in war.
This might even be said of the Germanic peoples.
Gaut used by Snorri, 1200 CE is written according to medieval
tradition (genealogy from Classical Greece) while Gaut as a Germanic
word antecedes this by maybe a millenium.
It is thus not out of possiblity that Gaut and Goth are connected.

Anþanareiks

http://www.geocities.com/ordlag_godvegr/Gothic_Language_Institute.htm