[gothic-l] Goetar, Gautoi, Gutar, Goths and Gaut

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Jul 15 07:49:22 UTC 2001

Esteemed listmembers,

Classical authors attest the Goths at the time of the Birth
of Christ lived south of the Baltic Sea. The three peoples
Goetar, Goths and Gutar have, as long as we have
been able to follow them, lived around and south of
the Baltic Sea before the Goths started migrating
toward the Black Sea. The Baltic Sea has no doubt
played an important, uniting part.

There is according to Professor Thorsten Andersson
(see both his article Goetar, goter, gutar in Namn och
bygd (1996) and his later artiche in Hoops 2nd ed. unity
among researchers that these names are related
to the verb gjuta, Old Swedish giuta.The three people
names would the, according to the international
discussion, be nomina agentis and originally related
to man, men.

Gapt/Gaut lead the Amal Ostrogoths. Amal does not
appear until after three generations. Ther cannot be
much doubt that Gaut is the progenitor of the Goths.
The name of the progenitor (Proto-Germanic *Gautaz) seems
therefore to be identical with the people name goetar in
singular. It is a heros eponymos, Gaut= goeten (singular
in Swedish).

Think it would be valuable if Anders explained the "hunch"
a little more as it goes against all established research.

Gothically

Bertil