Gaut not mentioned in Jordanes. Re: [gothic-l] Goetar, Gautoi, Gutar, Goths and Gaut

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Sun Jul 15 21:54:50 UTC 2001

Bertil, "Gaut" is NOT mentioned in Jordanes.

You wrote:

>There is one mention of Gaut and that
>is in Jordanes.

I'm very surprised to see you write it.
(Look in Nordin's index to the Getica. There is no Gaut)

>Professor Reichert wrote in Hoops 2nd edition:

Yes, I remember him from Oldnorsenet. I think he is
Andreas Schwarcz' colleague at the Karl-Lueger Ring
in Vienna. He contributed with some very interesting
posts. Apropos of which, I noticed last year that
Hermann Reichert has written a book on heroic saga.
If anyone has had a chance to take a look at it, I should
be very interested to hear concerning it. It could be relevant
to topics like Ermanric and Theodoric.

>Never heard of Looingja until now.

Well, Dirk mentioned her in several posts on this list
last week. And she was also on Oldnorsenet some years
ago when you were on it. She is from the Netherlands
and has written a book about runes.  The correct spelling
of her name is "Looijenga". I apologize for forgetting
the "e" after "ij" in my last post. That was an oversight.
I've spent the whole day reading her book. I think the
"rug" does not refer to "rugby" (Bertil, you must have
seen it!) but to "Rijksuniversiteit Groningen".

Best regards
Keth

P.S. Look for <http://www.ub.rug.nl>. Looijenga's book is there.
I think it is her doctoral dissertation (1997).