Gaut not mentioned in Jordanes.Re: [gothic-l] Goetar, Gautoi, Gutar, Goths and Gaut

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Mon Jul 16 16:49:12 UTC 2001

Keth is right. I have downloaded from the web both the Latin text of
Getica (http://www.gmu.edu/departments/fld/CLASSICS/iordanes.html) and
its English translation by Charles C. Mierow. I used the "search" tool
and did find "Gaut" only in the word "Gauthigoth".
Iordanes calls the first ancestor "Gapt":

XIV. Horum ergo heroum, ut ipsi suis in fabulis referunt, primus fuit
Gapt,
qui genuit Hulmul. Hulmul vero genuit Augis: at Augis genuit eum, qui
dictus est Amal, a quo et origo Amalorum decurrit: qui Amal genuit
Hisarna:
Hisarnis autem genuit Ostrogotha: Ostrogotha autem genuit Hunuil:
Hunuil
item genuit Athal: Athal genuit Achiulf et Odunlf: Achiulf autem
genuit
Ansila et Ediulf, Vultuulf et Hermenerig: Vultuulf vero genuit
Valaravans:
Valaravans autem genuit Vinitharium: Vinitharius quoque genuit
Vandiliarium: etc.

English translation:
Now the first of these heroes, as they themselves relate in their
legends, was Gapt, who begat Hulmul. And Hulmul begat Augis; and Augis
begat him who was called Amal, from whom the name of the Amali comes.
This
Amal begat Hisarnis. Hisarnis moreover begat Ostrogotha, and
Ostrogotha
begat Hunuil, and Hunuil likewise begat Athal. Athal begat Achiulfand
Oduulf. Now Achiulf begat Ansila and Ediulf, Vultuulf and Hermanaric.
And
Vultuulf begat Valaravans and Valaravans begat Vinitharius.
Vinitharius
moreover begat Vandalarius; etc.

Francisc