[gothic-l] As tree/ wooden pillar ,was "l. error: Gapt "

malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE malmqvist52 at YAHOO.SE
Mon Jul 16 00:03:01 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk and everybody,
--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "sunburst" <sunburst at j...> wrote:
> > Something further to consider in evaluating Grimm's perspective on
> > Gapt/Gaut:  Theodoric the Great is 15 generations away
from "Gapt"
> in the
> > Amali geneology.  Some of the English geneologies trace back to
> Geat, which
> > is, as we know, cognate to Gaut (but not to Gapt).  The Wessex
King
> Cerdic
> > died in 534, about a decade after Theodoric.  _Exactly 15_
> generations
> > behind Cerdic in the genealogy, we find Geat.  Coincidence?  No,
it
> seems
> > more likely that both of these genealogies, which developed
> independent from
> > one another, are tracing back to the same Gaut/Geat.  Had the
Amali
> > genealogy truly had a Gapt rather than Gaut, we might expect the
> English
> > genalogies to trace back to a Geft of Gift, which they do not.
> >
> > Albareiks
>

> Hi Albareiks and Keths,
>
> I think that the names Gaut/Gaus and Gapt are typical pairs of gods
> and analogous to the Vandalic gods Raus and Rapt (as reported by
> Herwig Wolfram in 'Rom und die Germanen). Wolfram states that the
name
> Raus and Rapt mean wooden beam and wooden stave (rohr in German),
i.e.
> stand for the wooden images of Germanic gods.
>
> Another Vandalic pair of gods is Ambri and Assi meaning 'Erle' and
> 'Esche', which are the names of two different kinds of trees.
Wolfram
> also stated that Gaut and Gapt belong to the Asen/Ansen gods. The
name
> Ase/Anse simply means wooden stave of which idols are made (related
> to Ast in German?).  Germanic wooden idols have been found in such
> pairs in sacrificial lakes near Eutin and at Oberdoorla in
Thuringia.

I found this post and the following discussion today, and I find it
quite interesting. I'm not at all certain that As-__ (gods)
necessarily must have ethymology from "beam" or "ås". I'm of course
no expert in linguistics and certainly not on these words, but I note
that ethymologies are contanly in revaluaton. It seems to me that the
word we are talking about is related to the name of the Ass elder
(british)rune. As the runes appear to be older than our germanic
languages I would suppose that its meaning is still highly uncertain
and therefore difficult to lead ethymologies from.

The funny part is that I just two days ago found this site. The guy
posts in e. g. Biblical studies ( he doesn't seem to be semitic-
germanic biassed):
http://bibleorigins.homestead.com/asherimasherah.html

he argues that the asherim in the old testament was really pillars of
the aser tree and that the ethymology is from the egyptian Asar
tree , an olive tree as I understand it, which was a symbol for
Osiris.

I'm not disgusted to the idea that there could be a conection with
our Ase poles;-).

I would therefore be very interested in more information on your
theory and the pole-gods.

Best wishes
Anders