[gothic-l] Re: Reidgoths-Reidmare-horses?

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Jul 16 00:13:52 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., dirk at s... wrote:

> Hi Troels,
>
> about Hreidgoths and Hreidmares; has a possible link to a meaning
> relating to horses been explored? A Mar or Maere is a name for an
old
> run-down horse. Also the word Gote/Goths is believed to have a
meaning
> for horse. If this word is related to German Gaul (i.e. an old
> run-down horse) than Hreidmare and Hreidgoths would be synonyms.
>
> cheers,
>
> Dirk

Sorry Dirk - I did not see this letter when I returned from my
holiday.

Actually Keth mentioned some earlier posts where Reidgotaland was
regarded as the place you can ride (=same in Scandinavia) to (You can
ride to Jutland from the Continent, but not to the islands). In my
opinion this theory is too far out - and that was also Keth's final
conclusion.

An early and important source was as far as I remember not mentioned
in the last discussions. Unfortunately I have only an OE version of
Widsith, and I will not present my poor and maybe wrong translation
for all the linguistic experts of this list. However 100 years before
the Roek-stone "Hredcyninges" were mentioned in line 7, "Hredgotum"
in line 57 and in line 119-123 "Hræd" in connection with a battle in
the Wistla-woods against Attila. This is why Kemp Malone called
them "Nest-Goths", but your translation "River-Goths" makes also
sense - especially if it is a North or East Germanic word. For a
Scandinavian it was natural to call the Sea between him and the
remaining Hreidgoths "Hreidmare" until they finally left the shores
of the Sea.

Troels