[gothic-l] Re: Illerup objects with runes.

Alburysteve at AOL.COM Alburysteve at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 16 16:01:17 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk:

>  A depiction of a Celtic god in the Celtic princely grave of Glauberg
>  (500BC) shows a one-eyed god with two ravens. An early depiction of
>  Wodan/Odin? or simply a sign that certain images travelled between
>  cultures and the characteristics of a god of one culture were used to
>  embellished the god of another culture?

Can you give the source where this depiction is found?  I would like to view
it.  For  what it's worth, one-eyed characters with raven connections is well
known in Celtic mythology and comparisons between Wodan and Lug/Cuchulain
have been made many times.  Inasmuch as all these characters draw to some
degree on a shared I-E source, borrowing need not figure heavily in their
distribution.

Best regards,

Steve O'Brien