[gothic-l] Re: Illerup objects with runes.

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Jul 16 16:25:00 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Alburysteve at a... wrote:
> Hi Dirk:
>
> >  A depiction of a Celtic god in the Celtic princely grave of
Glauberg
> >  (500BC) shows a one-eyed god with two ravens. An early depiction
of
> >  Wodan/Odin? or simply a sign that certain images travelled
between
> >  cultures and the characteristics of a god of one culture were
used to
> >  embellished the god of another culture?
>
> Can you give the source where this depiction is found?  I would like
to view
> it.  For  what it's worth, one-eyed characters with raven
connections is well
> known in Celtic mythology and comparisons between Wodan and
Lug/Cuchulain
> have been made many times.  Inasmuch as all these characters draw to
some
> degree on a shared I-E source, borrowing need not figure heavily in
their
> distribution.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Steve O'Brien

Hi Steve,

I don't have an exact source for this information. I only remembered
having read about it in one of my father's monthly archaeology
magazines. The text did not even make the link to Wodan if I remember
correctly, which is not surprising if there are several one-eyed
characters with ravens linked to the Celtic pantheon.

cheers,