[gothic-l] Pietroasa

Bertil Häggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Tue Jul 17 17:13:35 UTC 2001

Francisc,

How old is Pietroasa in your opinion?

Will return to your comments on my Old Gutnish/
Gothic examples. Thank you very much !

Gothically

Bertil
The necklace where this inscription was carved
belongs to the gold treasure of Pietroasa, that is attributed by most
researchers to the Visigothic leader Athanaric. The inscription is in
old Futhark and was differently interpreted by different authors, the
most common being GUTANI WIHAILAG = "of the Goths sacred-holy
[property]" (I already wrote several time about this to the Gothic-L).
And note also that some of the Gothic letter names are similar to the
rune names and that some letters of Wulfila's alphabet (o, u, Þ) are
borrowed from the runic script, facts that strongly suggest that the
Goths used the runes before the alphabet of Wulfila.