Gwodan/Frea [gothic-l] Odin / Religions

trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Tue Jul 17 19:33:57 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,

I have noticed the legend and find it interesting.

I don't think you can date the legend and the names of the gods to
the 2nd century because you in the legend recognize an event from
that time. However I am sure the couple existed in Germany before
they were transferred to Scandinavia.

The Greek connection I do not believe. It was probably invented among
the Germanic people in the time between Gregory of Tours and "Gesta
Regum Francorum"/Fredegar, when the Franks got "their classical
past". Paulus Diaconus obviously belonged to this new school, which
was also known by the Icelandic authors.

Regards
Troels