Gwodan/Frea [gothic-l] Odin / Religions

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Wed Jul 18 21:57:22 UTC 2001

Hi Troels,
You wrote:

>I have noticed the legend and find it interesting.
>
>I don't think you can date the legend and the names of the gods to
>the 2nd century because you in the legend recognize an event from
>that time. However I am sure the couple existed in Germany before
>they were transferred to Scandinavia.

The legend says that this victory over the Vandals took
place while the Langobards were still called Winnili.
In gratitude for the victory they changed their name
to "Langobards", because Godan had said: "Qui sunt isti
longibarbi?" Thus Godan/Frea goes back, according to
Italian tradition, to the time they first assumed the
name "Langobards".

Now we know that Tacitus already mentions the Langobards
ca. 98 AD: "Contra Langobardos paucitas nobilitat: pluri-
nis ac valentissimis nationibus cincti non per obsequium,
sed proeliis ac periclitando tuti sunt." (Langobarderne
derimod, glimrer ved å være fåe: omringede af utallige
mægtige stammer, greier de sig ikke ved at underkaste
sig, men ved farefuldt at ståe frem i kamp.) n.b. over-
sættelsen er kun omtræntlig. Citatet er fra "Germania".

The event of assuming their new name must therefore
have taken place some time before Tacitus mentions them.
I therefore think Gwodan/Frea must be set to the
lower Elbe area (which is approximately where Tacitus
allows us to place the Langobards) to the 1st century
or earlier.

If this may be considered to be the earliest
indirect reference to the pair Gwodan/Frea
by name, then logically, the place is today's Germany.
But according to Icelandic tradition these lands were called
"Saxland". Snorri says Odin travelled there from the
Tanakvisl and became king there.

>The Greek connection I do not believe. It was probably invented among
>the Germanic people in the time between Gregory of Tours and "Gesta
>Regum Francorum"/Fredegar, when the Franks got "their classical
>past". Paulus Diaconus obviously belonged to this new school, which
>was also known by the Icelandic authors.

I agree that Paulus Diaconus may have been known to Icelanders.
and that thus the Icelandic tradition of an Asian origin may not
be independent.

But also remember that we have direct evidence to the name-form
"Wodan" in Norwegian runic inscriptions dated to the 4th century:

         ek wiwar after . woduri
         de wita(n)da-halaiban : worahto : r///
         meR woduride : staina
         þrijoR dohtriR dalidun
         arbija(a) sijosteR arbijano

                                    (The TUNE inscription, Østfold)

Here the PN "Woduride" occurs twice. De Vries gives the name as
"Woðuriðe" and relates the first part to the name of a god < germ.
*Woþu-, which relates to ON oðr (poetry/inspiration/exstasy).
Thus the meaning of the name would then be "he who rides along
in exstasy". This has been read as the theophoric name of a
Wotan priest. (Krause)

Well! I was going to write more. But since I received few responses
to my posts about runes, I suppose I'd better stop here. But please
gentle reader, if you are still with me, please take note of
one more little thing. May I ask you to take a last look at
the Tune inscription ? Take a look at all the -ij- clusters.
And please note that they occur on a Scandinavian rune stone
(and a famous one at that). So I think we can conclude that
"-ij- clusters are not at all untypical of North Germanuic runic
inscriptions". Thank you very much; that was the point I wished to make.
(hopefully) more later.

Best regards
Keth

arbija - arbijano = ärvingar, die Erben.