Gwodan/Frea [gothic-l] Odin / Religions

Troels Brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Jul 19 00:11:20 UTC 2001

Hi Keth

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:

> If this may be considered to be the earliest
> indirect reference to the pair Gwodan/Frea
> by name, then logically, the place is today's Germany.

I am not sure what you mean by "indirect" here, but you can't
convince me about this is an early historical reference, as it is
written by Paulus Diaconus.

> But also remember that we have direct evidence to the name-form
> "Wodan" in Norwegian runic inscriptions dated to the 4th century:
>
>          ek wiwar after . woduri
>          de wita(n)da-halaiban : worahto : r///
>          meR woduride : staina
>          þrijoR dohtriR dalidun
>          arbija(a) sijosteR arbijano
>
>                                     (The TUNE inscription, Østfold)
>
> Here the PN "Woduride" occurs twice. De Vries gives the name as
> "Woðuriðe" and relates the first part to the name of a god < germ.
> *Woþu-, which relates to ON oðr (poetry/inspiration/exstasy).
> Thus the meaning of the name would then be "he who rides along
> in exstasy". This has been read as the theophoric name of a
> Wotan priest. (Krause)

This is an interesting text combined with the name of the town, and I
notice the W in the name. The combination is a líttle earlier than I
would have expected, but it has happened to me with the Norvegean
runestones before. How sure are the archaeologists about the dating?

I think you should answer this at Germanic-list.

Regards
Troels