[gothic-l] answer to Bertil

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Wed Jul 18 11:26:42 UTC 2001

Bertil,

>Just also wanted to know if you have any other
>sources on Gaut you would like to mention
>here, besides de Vries.

Surely you don't mean that de Vries is a primary "source"?
He is secondary literature of the standard reference type.
He discusses sources, but IS not source.

I did not like it when you suggested that I
was "dedicated" to de Vries. Everybody who has his
etymological dictionary uses it, simply because
it is a very good dictionary. But when you use
such words as "dedicated", you are making me angry.
I use all the books I have and quote those that
are pertinent when the information is objective.

>I am trying to do a
>bibliography of what sources I have been able
>to find. Of course Ingemars book _Goterkaellan_
>will be included as it mentions Gaut in many places
>and discusses Gaut extensively.
>
>Have you had an opportunity to look at the homepage
>of Hoops Reallexikon? This is a huge undertaking,

I am sorry to disappoint you that I did not
have a chance to take a look at the homepage of
the de Gruyter Verlag yet. But I did look at it some
years ago.  I suppose you are very lucky to own a copy
of the Reallexicon.

>just as the first edition was and it is not only quite a
>timeconsuming job to translate and put all the text on
>Gaut and the Goetar on the list but there could be a risk
>that some nuance is lost in a translation.

>From where you got the idea that the Reallexicon articles are
so sensitive to "nuances" that they cannot be translated?
That sounds incredible to me. Scientific/scholarly comments
are actually among the easiest materials to translate.
That is because they write in an objective manner.

>I hope you have an
>opportunity to study the Gaut and Goetar articles in this work.

As I said, I will have no chance to visit any univesity library
this summer. Hope you can accept that.

>I don't know how far from the university
>library in Stavanger you are but the distance cannot be
>that great. And I cannot imagine a copy of Hoops 2nd ed
>not being there.

Well, you are wrong then.
I did an etensive e-search of ALL Norwegian university
libraries one or two days ago, and posted the result to
the list. Didn't you see it? It was in answer to your
concern. The volume in question was nowhere to be found
in ANY norwegian library. Sweden yes, Norway no.

>One member of the list wrote to me suggesting I put
>all the text on the list, but I think he might not have
>known the size of the articles and the Hoops encyclopedia,
>thinking it was only a one volume thing with each entry
>a few, maybe ten lines. With the Professor Andersson
>article in _Namn och Bygd_ it would be over 50 pages
>of text.

Yes, but all of those 50 pages wouldn't be necessary to
read in order to answer the simple questions that were asked
on the list. Anderson's article is irrelevant to the question
what Jordanes actually wrote in the Getica. Only a perusal
of the Getica itself can answer that question.
And as you saw, Francisc already did an exhaustive
search of the text, and confirmed what the commentators
were all saying with an unanimous voice.
It is you who is wrong there Bertil.

>It is a pity that the questions we discuss with such intensity
>are not of such general interest that the publishe of
>Hoops could put all so far published articles online for free.
>It would, no doubt, increase interest in the stuy of Germanic
>society including the Goths. But I guess it is a matter of
>costs and the fear that the publishers will lose sales income
>on the printed edition.

Regards
Keth

Now can we move on please?