[gothic-l] Re: Runes and Wulfila's alphabet

Francisc Czobor czobor at CANTACUZINO.RO
Fri Jul 20 08:36:47 UTC 2001

Hi Keth,

it is true that in Norwegian and in Danish the "hv" digraph (as far as
I know) occurs only at the beginning of the words, and it is
pronounced [v]. There is a "hv" digraph in Icelandic too, that occurs
also only at the beginning of the word, but is pronounced otherwise
than in Norwegian and Danish. I have read that in Modern Icelandic the
"hv" is pronounced almost like [kv].
As it is written in Andreas Heusler's "Altisländisches Elementarbuch"
(Carl Winter Universitätsverlag, Heidelberg, 1967), in Old Norse "h"
was preserved only at the beginning of accentuated initial sylables.
On the other hand, in Gothic the sounds "q" [= kw] and "hv" [= xw]
occur also in the middle and at the end of the word.
A few examples:
ahva "river", aihva- "horse", saihvan "to see"/saihv "saw", brahv
"moment"
riqis "darkness", igqar "yours" (dual), sigqan "to sink"/sagq "sank"
So your explanation is not applicable to Gothic.

Francisc