[gothic-l] Re: Old Gutnish

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Jul 18 10:56:50 UTC 2001

>--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
>> Sorry Dirk,
>> There are no experts on Gothic och Gutnish in Swedish universities.
>The
>> people on this list are probably more experts on these languages.
>> Tore
>

>Hi Tore,
>
>but there are experts of Nordic languages (of which Gutnish is one) at
>Swedish universities. I suspect you would not be so critical of their
>abilities and knowledge if they had shown what you wanted to hear.
>
>cheers,
>Dirk

Dirk,
Yes there are experts in Nordic languages in Sweden.
I have had discussions with some professors in Stockholm and Uppsala in
this subject and they agree that this area has been neglected and there is
no research in the subject going on. The Swedish history interest begins
second millenium and Gotland is no part of it at Swedish universities.
When you bring up the subject it is always somebody elses table.
The archaelogists are no experts on history. The historians say it belongs
to the archaelogists. Most linguistis are touching the subject, but have no
deeper acquaintance with it.
Tore