[gothic-l] Re: Old Gutnish

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jul 18 12:36:22 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >> Sorry Dirk,
> >> There are no experts on Gothic och Gutnish in Swedish
universities.
> >The
> >> people on this list are probably more experts on these languages.
> >> Tore
> >

> >Hi Tore,
> >
> >but there are experts of Nordic languages (of which Gutnish is one)
at
> >Swedish universities. I suspect you would not be so critical of
their
> >abilities and knowledge if they had shown what you wanted to hear.
> >
> >cheers,
> >Dirk
>
> Dirk,
> Yes there are experts in Nordic languages in Sweden.
> I have had discussions with some professors in Stockholm and Uppsala
in
> this subject and they agree that this area has been neglected and
there is
> no research in the subject going on. The Swedish history interest
begins
> second millenium and Gotland is no part of it at Swedish
universities.
> When you bring up the subject it is always somebody elses table.
> The archaelogists are no experts on history. The historians say it
belongs
> to the archaelogists. Most linguistis are touching the subject, but
have no
> deeper acquaintance with it.
> Tore

Hi Tore,

I can simply not believe that the Gutnish language is such a mystery
to professional Scandinavianists that they are unable to make
reasonably well-informed statements about its place among Nordic and
Germanic languages. The assessments that I received from two Swedish
linguists and Fransisc's own analysis all say the same thing, so I
tend to belief them. I suppose we will have to differ on this.

cheers,