[gothic-l] Re: Old Gutnish

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Wed Jul 18 15:14:39 UTC 2001

Dirk, why don't you take the time to read the two
texts I submitted from Arne Torp's book.
You can simply compare the two texts word for word
even if you don't know the language.
If you do that you will see they are very close.
A lot closer than German and Bairisch for example.
Why don't you do it?
Then you don't have to rely on other people's opinion
any more.

Of course there may be an odd word here and there.
In the sample there was "eluist".
I translated by "elvish", but that is just to choose a word
that sounds a bit alike and reflects the probable meaning.
("enchanted in other transaltions")
You probably missed my graph of the genealogy as well. See below

>I can simply not believe that the Gutnish language is such a mystery
>to professional Scandinavianists that they are unable to make
>reasonably well-informed statements about its place among Nordic and
>Germanic languages. The assessments that I received from two Swedish
>linguists and Fransisc's own analysis all say the same thing, so I
>tend to belief them. I suppose we will have to differ on this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~-------------------------------
Genealogy:                                    '
                                              '
                    Tjalfar                   '
                       |                      '
                       |                      '
                     Hafdi ~ Whitestar        '
                ___________|___________       '
               |           |           |      '
               |           |           |      '
             Greip       Goti      Gunnfjon   '
            (North)    (Middle)     (South)   '
                                              '
                                              '
                                              '

Here also is exemplified:

1. There are 3 sons.
2. All 3 have names beginning with the same letter.
3. Two have short names of only one syllable and are
   similar. The 3rd son has a name of two syllables,
   that differs a little from the two others, in that
   it has no fricative at the end. (only 'n')
4. Also note that the name "Goti" is basically the
   same as "Gaut".
5. In "Greip" we also find the "p" that we find in "Gapt".

Best regards
Keth