[gothic-l] Re: Old Gutnish

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jul 18 16:21:31 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Dirk, why don't you take the time to read the two
> texts I submitted from Arne Torp's book.
> You can simply compare the two texts word for word
> even if you don't know the language.
> If you do that you will see they are very close.
> A lot closer than German and Bairisch for example.
> Why don't you do it?
> Then you don't have to rely on other people's opinion
> any more.

Hi again Keth,

sorry, I did not even see this message with an expert from Arne Torp's
book. I am afraid I am not a linguist and not able to conduct
comparisons of two languages like Gothic and Old Gutnish. Therefore, I
will necessarily have to rely on the opinion of expert professionals
like Prof. Bo Ralph or Oesten Dahl or the analysis conducted by
Fransisc, which all say the same thing. German and Bavarian, which is
simply a dialect of German, are very close and mutually
intelliglibe. Even a complete layman would notice that they are
closely related. I simply cannot belief that professional
Scandinavianists would be so stupid to miss such a close match.

cheers,
Dirk

> Of course there may be an odd word here and there.
> In the sample there was "eluist".
> I translated by "elvish", but that is just to choose a word
> that sounds a bit alike and reflects the probable meaning.
> ("enchanted in other transaltions")
> You probably missed my graph of the genealogy as well. See below

You are right, I missed this geneology as well and I don't even
understand what it has to do with a language comparison beteen Old
Gutnish and Gothic.

cheers,
Dirk