[gothic-l] Gaut, an additional view

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Jul 18 11:09:09 UTC 2001

Keth,
Yes it is correct. Gotland was an independant republic. The Swedish
annectation of Gotland is as late as 1679 and no Swedish king visited
Gotland until 1854. This was such a big thing that a large stone had to be
erected over this occasion.
 Sweden is not a nation but a state put together of various nations and a
construction  from later times.  The time we discuss Sweden did not exist.
>From the sixth century there is a Svea (sviar) power around the Lake Mälar.
(This is the sviar mentioned in the Guta saga and with whom the Gutar made
a trade and defence treaty at the middle of the sixth century. They are
also mentioned in Beowulf. The wars between svear and gutar. )

In Västergötland there is a Gauta power. This is probably close related to
Östergötland over the Lake Vättern. The hilly forrests of Kolmården acted
as barrier between Lake Mälar area and Östergötland. At that time the
waterways were the crucial communication ways. North of Lake Vättern there
were the big forrests that acted as a barrier.
Bohuslän belonged to the Viken area with the Olsofjord as the center. The
links with Västergötland and the Oslo fjord area were probably very close.
I consider there were three power areas. Denmark-Skåne (The Leijre center)
. The Viken area with the Olso fjord and Bohuslän with Göta älv as
important water way and the Baltic with Gotland. When the Svear immigrated
in the beginning of the 6th century there was an alliance formed between
the Svear and the Gutnish people, a trade and defence alliance.
Tore