[gothic-l] Re: Runes and Wulfila's alphabet

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Wed Jul 18 16:13:21 UTC 2001

Hi Francisc,
Well, I want to thank you for the inspiration you provided any way.
You showed me that it was possible to DO things with these things,
and you helped remove the barrier I've had against looking at Proto-nordic.

I must admit that the messages were in part written for you
because you are the only one I can imagine would be able to
talk with sense about it.

I do not have the answer here. But I find I am learning
things by looking at them and trying to find a solution.
What I reacted against was Looijenga's opinion that
the Illerup inscriptions were W.Gmc., because to me
they _sound_ so Nordic. In particular I focussed on
the -ij- cluster that is _very_ distinct in wagnijo.
(very clear ISA-JERA group). Now that i've done
some more reading, I see that it can probably be seen
as a kind of suffix. The root is clearly wagn-

The way I see it now, is as rough parallel with LAtin
vincere -- victor. The -or (suffix?) here is something
that indicates the "agentis" of the action. Maybe -ij-
could be somethinng similar. A parallell is in harijar.
(Skåäng, Sw.) But I don't know if you have a list of
all the runic words. I thought perhaps a comparison with
Gothic might help. Any way, if you didn't have time yet,
then hopefully some time in the future.

Best regards
keth