[gothic-l] Re: To Dirk and Tore and keth

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 19 06:49:31 UTC 2001

> > Dirk,
> > You are quite right that Jordanes actually wrote that the Goths
have
> > migrated from the Island of Scandza that looks like a Juniper
> leave, the
> > shape of Gotland.
>
> Isn't is rather the shape of Öland then?
> > I don't think he mentions anything about 1000 years or so before
> our era.
> > It is rather 300 -200 BC
> >
> and thanks for correcting my misstake. I think I knew some time ago
> that it was earlier than our era, but I still can't seem to figure
> out if it was 200 or 1000 years. Maybe we will never know.

Hello Anders,

I just replied to Tore, pointing out that Wolfram wrote in 'Das Reich
und die Germanen' that according to Jordanes/Cassiodorus the Goths
migrated from the island of Scandza in the year 1490BC!!

> But I still think that it corroborates the view that Gutnish,
> Icelandic, Danish , Swedish, Norweigan and certainly also High
German
> are more related to eachother than they are to Gothic.  We seem to
be
> able to follow these languages down to the Viking times and the
V.Age
> runes where it looks to me that  Danish and Swedish are almost
> identical.
>
> I saw this by Keth:
> GOTLAND text:
> Gutland hitti fyrsti maðr þann sum þjelvar hit. Þá var Gutland sá
> elvist
> at þet dagum sank ok nátum var uppi.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> ICELAND text:
> Gotland hitti [=fann] fyrstr maðr sá sem þjalfarr hét. Þá var
Gotland
>> ?elvist*)
> at þat do,gum so,kk ok nóttum var uppi.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> (the first text is Gutlandish from 1350, the second is the same
> text translated to Icelandic)
>
> From this it looks like modern icelandic is "rather" similar to
> gutnish from 1350.
>
> The Discussion a couple of months ago also showed that we cannot say
> that gutnish is more similar to gothic than e. g. swedish. In my
> thinking the idea of relatedness is between cultures from differeent
> times very much rely on the relatedness of the languages (and
names).
> I.e if we can't find any more physical evidence.(I'm not aware of
any
> such instances from Gotland or Götaland.)

I am confused now. Yesterday Keth wrote that I should take the time to
investigate some text exerpts that he had posted earlier, saying that
they would prove that Gutnish is even closer to Gothic than German is
to Bavarian?????? Keth, can you clarify this please?

best regards
Dirk

PS I suspect a complete and utter mis-understanding