[gothic-l] Re: To Dirk and Tore and keth

keth at ONLINE.NO keth at ONLINE.NO
Thu Jul 19 10:42:36 UTC 2001

Hi Dirk,
You were just to compare the two texts below,
that is all.

>> I saw this by Keth:

>> GOTLAND text:
>> Gutland hitti fyrsti maðr þann sum þjelvar hit. Þá var
>> Gutland sá elvist at þet dagum sank ok nátum var uppi.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> ICELAND text:
>> Gotland hitti [=fann] fyrstr maðr sá sem þjalfarr hét. Þá var
>> Gotland són ?elvist at þat dOgum sOkk ok nóttum var uppi.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> (the first text is Gutlandish from 1350, the second is the same
>> text translated to Icelandic)

>I am confused now. Yesterday Keth wrote that I should take the time to
>investigate some text exerpts that he had posted earlier, saying that
>they would prove that Gutnish is even closer to Gothic than German is
>to Bavarian?????? Keth, can you clarify this please?

You are hard to figure out, Why don't you just look at the texts?
I wrote at length about it, and this is only the first sentence
that Professor Arne Torp has translated to Icelandic.
So the first text is Old Gunish and the second is the same Old Gutnish
text translated to Icelandic. What's the problem?

Cheers
Keth