[gothic-l] Goths Primodial Deed: to Keth

dirk at SMRA.CO.UK dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jul 19 07:16:30 UTC 2001

--- In gothic-l at y..., keth at o... wrote:
> Hi Dirk, when you quote Jordanes, could you please give
> reference to the relevant paragraph? Since we all have different
> editions, it might be nice to compare notes. You said you
> did not feel qualified to use sources, and that you hated the
> guts of amateurs who do, because they are "dangerous" and
> damage (what cause?).

Hi Keth,

please be fair, I never said that I 'hated the guts of amateurs' or
anything like it. Please don't attribute these kind of expressions to
me. All I said, or at least mean to say, was that there is a 'danger'
of mis-interpretation of origianal sources if they are used without
the proper care.

Also, you wrote 'When you quote Jordanes....". Please note that I did
not quote Jordanes, but refered to Erwig Wolfram's book 'Das Reich und
die Germanen' p. 58, where Wolfram writes that accroding to
Jordanes/Cassiodorus the Goths completed their primodial deed, the
migration to the Vistula region in 1490BC. But I will be happy to
check whether Wolfram gives the exact source and shall let you know
tomorrow as I don't have my books on me right now.

cheers,
Dirk

> >Hello Tore,
> >
> >Jordanes also does not mention 200-300BC either. Wolfram writes in
> >'Das Reich und die Germanen' (p.58) that Jordanes, based on
> >Cassiodorus implied that the Goths crossed from the island of
Scandza